RFI

Re: [RFI] FW: Pacemaker and RFI

To: <wx5l@charter.net>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] FW: Pacemaker and RFI
From: "Dave AA6YQ" <aa6yq@ambersoft.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2021 16:18:56 -0400
+ AA6YQ comments below

Yesterday I had a Medtronic pacemaker implanted in my chest. I was having
occasional lapses in heart rhythm of 10-15 seconds about
once a week.

This pacemaker is of new technology shielded in metal.

Is there anyone that has experience or an opinion about operating on HF
frequencies 40 through 10 meters with a pacemaker?

In the manual it does refer to being in close proximity to the unit like 6
inches for cell phones, network routers and laptops. Also
mentioned that microwave ovens are not an issue but again I am inquiring about
HF.

I realize if I'm on my tower working and RF would be emitted would be a higher
risk.

What I'm concerned is operating in my shack about 60 feet from my quad and
30 feet from a 40 meter delta loop.

I am inquiring about the electromagnetic compatibility.

I'm not anticipating info from Medtronic that relates to my particular
questions.

+ Medtronic will have direct answers to your questions. 10 years ago, I led a
small team of local volunteers that introduced the use
of 2.4 GHz 5 mW wireless handsets for on-premises voting during our New England
Town Meeting.  I contacted each of the major
manufacturers of pacemakers and implanted defibrillators to ask about RF
susceptibility. All were fully aware of the issue, and sent
me documentation that addressed HF as well as VHF and UHF.

     73,

              Dave, AA6YQ