RFI

Re: [RFI] 12v 5A linear power supply?

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] 12v 5A linear power supply?
From: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2022 19:00:15 +0000
The linear supplie(s) you are seeking are not expensive and quite easy to
build yourself.  Hammond makes the appropriate transformers (
tubesandmore.com) and there are many single-package 1.5 to 2-ampere linear
regulators, both fixed and adjustable readily available (don't do Amazon or
ebay - Chinese).  In addition, most of the linear wall warts are not
regulated and output in the vicinity of 17 VDC and relatively poorly
filtered.  Build your own.

Dave - WØLEV

On Wed, Nov 9, 2022 at 6:54 PM Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:

> On 11/9/2022 4:59 AM, Michael Martin wrote:
> > That power supply Eric is looking for is to replace one that is one of
> > the noisiest power supplies in the industry and all over the country and
> > it probably doesn't draw much more than a half of an amp if it's the one
> > I've been finding.
>
> If you can't find an old linear wall wart in the 0.5-1A range, it may
> still be possible to find one at industrial electronics distributors. I
> bought several 2-3A 12V and 2A 24V supplies to run some custom LED
> lighting fixtures several years ago. They were not easy to find, and may
> being phased out. It's worth poking around online with those distributors.
>
> I long ago standardized on the same Power Pole connectors that Elecraft
> used beginning with their earliest rigs, and run all the 12V gear in my
> shack and in my home from 12V batteries, float-charged from a suitable
> linear supply.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

*Dave - WØLEV*
*Just Let Darwin Work*