RFI

Re: [RFI] Finally located my RFI

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Finally located my RFI
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2024 00:01:41 -0700
On 6/19/2024 6:08 PM, David Eckhardt wrote:
Dave, install ferrites on BOTH the input AND output.

I think you mean on both the mains power side and the control lines. Strongly agree. BUT -- it's going to take more than single-turn clamps that peak around 140 MHz to make much of dent between 17 and 29 MHz.

Couple of thoughts. First, dedicated twisted pair for the current carrying conductors.

Second, look for anything that would divide some of the return current with a random ground path, like building structure. The logic -- when forward and return current can form a transmission line, their fields cancel as long as they're equal, (and are confined to the narrow region between the conductors that make up the line), AND the transmission line is a much lower impedance than the wider random path, so all the current goes to it. But if their is no transmission line, the return current in that random path creates a large magnetic field, and also radiates as an antenna.

Henry Ott got me to see this light years ago, and I got the same analysis with an EMC engineer I encountered when he showed up as a friend of the client at a church in Dayton for which I was designing a sound system. The first thing he said after I'd outlined the issue was "twisted pair."

73, Jim K9YC