[RTTY] Which RTTY Program To Use ??

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Which RTTY Program To Use ??
From: jon@praxisworks.org (Jon Harder)
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 13:04:29 -0000
> What exactly needs done to transmit fsk with MMTY and a TS850??

Jamie --

The 850's FSK setup is pretty simple and works great with MMTTY.  You need
to do something like this:

1. Build a simple level-shifter to provide FSK keying from the computer to
the 850's RTTY RCA jack, and to handle PTT.  It can be done on the same
port.  I have used the one described at http://www.w5bbr.com/pttfsk.html
quite successfully for several years.   The 850's PTT line is on pin 9,
shield to 8, of ACC2.  (Fixed audio out for the sound card is available on
pin 3, shield to 4 of ACC2, or you can use speaker audio if you want to ride
the AF gain.)

2.  Go to Joe's nice 850 info site at http://www.qsl.net/k0bx/   Choose the
tab marked TS-850FSK and follow the set-by-step setup of the 850 menu for
FSK.

3.  In MMTTY select Option -> Setup MMTTY -> Misc and choose Comm TxD (FSK).
In TX tab, go to PTT and choose your comm port.  Confusing, but it's also
the FSK keying port.  Be sure your demod frequencies and shifts in MMTTY
setup match the menu settings you've just put in the 850.  Turn on the
"Moni" push-button on the 850, adjust the level,  and listen to your signal.
If it's upside-down, you can go back to the 850 menu and set menu number 11
to the alternate choice, ON works for me.

4.  This should work well.  If you have your 850s rig control enabled, you
can set this up under TX -> Radio Command and choose the Kenwood options.
Set frequency offset to OFF for FSK.  This allows logging the freq of QSOs
right in MMTTY.

Among the great advantages of FSK on the 850 is that you can use  CW filters
in the two IFs to gain sharp selectivity.   There's been much recent
discussion of this here on the list.  I have a choice of 500 or 270 hz
filters in the first IF (8 mHz)   and 500 in the second.  This together with
the 850's slope tuning is a terrific setup.

One final note.  As a WriteLog user,  I use the MMTTY plug-in for one
RttyRite window, and my ST-8000 in another, paralleling the audio and FSK
lines.  Wow, what a combo -- ready for anything!

Hope this gets you going soon on FSK with your 850, Jamie.

73  de Jon         K1US