[RTTY] RTTY Roundup 2002

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] RTTY Roundup 2002
From: w6knb@home.com (Glenn VanBlaricum, W6KNB)
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 08:09:17 +0000
I won my first (and only) contest certificate in the RR with a casual
effort last year, mainly because I was the only entrant from the Santa
Barbara section. However, I thought it was worth making a more serious
effort this year to see how I could do for real. Propagation was amazingly
good,  although the Europe opening on Sunday seemed not to last very long.
Was Nevada on at all?

I clearly need either better antennas for 80 and 40,  or a fix to my RFI
problem so I can run my amp there without repeated lockups, or (I hope)
both. I could also use a more comfortable chair or a tougher butt.

Highlights: Stumbling across my friend John VK4UC as the only signal on 20
m late Saturday night. Being called by CN8LI.

Thanks to W7LD and K6LL for five bands, and to many others for four!

A couple of comments to add to the many messages about exchanges:

I prefer the critical info--call and QTH or serial number--sent
twice.  Once is plenty for 599, but zero probably isn't kosher. Leading
spaces are helpful since the first character of a transmission is often
lost. I can really do without the answers to my CQ that include the
exchange before I've acknowledged them, especially when more than one
station is calling! The long exchanges--"W6KNB de XXXXX XXXXX Good
afternoon, Glenn. Please copy 599 599 599 599 123 123 123 123 123 123 Best
73 and Happy New Year. W6KNB de XXXXX XXXXX"--are more funny than
exasperating (although if I were in the running for first place I might
have a different view).

Band    QSOs    W/VE    DX
80          9             7     0
40        40    22      1
20       204    51      17
15       290    51      32
10       228    48      25
--------------------------------------
Total    771    56*     44*

Claimed score = 77100
--------------------------------------
* - Counted only once (not once per band)
Equipment:

FT-1000 + Alpha 89 (1 kW on 20,15,10)
FT-1000       (100 w on 80, 40)
Force-12 C3 at 20 ft (20,15,10)