[RTTY] Best RTTY rig? CHEN's blown strap

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Best RTTY rig? CHEN's blown strap
From: wa9als@starband.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 06:16:30 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Kok Chen" <chen@mac.com>
To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 11:35 PM
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Best RTTY rig?

> VP5/WA9ALS wrote:
> >> I doubt any verticals can do it - possibly a Butternut, but I wouldn't
bet
> >> on it. Put that kind of power into a Cushcrap, Hy-Gain or GAP and it'll
> >> become a smoking hunk of plastic in no time at all.
> >
> > I -would- bet on the Butternut!
>
> Really?  Send cash, John :-).
>
> I lost a shorting strap on an HF-2V running just 100 watts on 80m.
> I have since replaced it with a more substantial piece of wire.
>
> But, I agree few people can melt that aluminium tubing Butternut
> calls loading coils :-).
>
> IMHO, coax baluns are the best way to go, especially for monobander
> antennas. Easy to build and optimise.
>
> 73
> Chen, AA6TY

Well, I didn't author the Cushcrap part above (although it made me smile),
but maybe I should've said "Butternut HF9V" instead of just "Butternut".
And Chen, if you lost something running 100W, I don't think you can compare
that fairly in a thread about using KW+.  If something failed at 100W, it
was either defective (likely) or a poor design that wouldn't have let
Butternut be as successful with the HF2V as they have been.  SRI, no check
in mail!