[RTTY] No Digital?

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] No Digital?
From: ditdah@infogen.net.nz (Frank Hunt)
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 18:43:49 +1200
On 28 Mar 02, at 21:14, k5ic@yahoo.com wrote:

> I'm a DX'er. I rarely go on SSB because I always feel like I'm
> hysterical when I'm after a DX station. I know that the ALC will limit
> the input volume, yet I always wind up screaming, or at least feel like
> I'm screaming. It's hard to sound hysterical on CW or RTTY. Rude yes,
> but not hysterical.
> Also, I can't quite understand people wanting to eliminate RTTY from a
> DXpedition.  I think that the VK0IR operation worked all the RTTY DX'ers
> there were in the world and only had  4,000 QSOs. It would seem that a
> digital station run properly could take care of the RTTY DX'ers fairly
> easily leaving plenty of time for the SSB crowd. Maybe it's a sign of
> the times, intolerence to others' preferences.
>
> Audie  K5IC

The 2002 Mellish Reef team, including myself, are presently
considering how much time we should spend on RTTY.
Can we expect to make 4,000 QSO's, or how many?

The original thinking was to start RTTY ops during the latter part of
trip, now we are considering RTTY ops every day from day one onwards,
like 3 hours per day, but this depends on how many QSO's we can
expect to make.

Please DO NOT send me or the anyone else in the VK9ML team, messages
saying we should operate RTTY 24 hours per day on all bands for ten
days, because that will not happen, BUT if anyone has a rough idea of
how many RTTY callers we can expect, say on 20/15m, that information,
would be useful.

For full information on the trip please check out
www.qsl.net/vk9ml/2002

73, Frank ZL2BR