[RTTY] RTTY operation in ARRL's Field Day exercise?

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] RTTY operation in ARRL's Field Day exercise?
From: k2yg@BellAtlantic.net (Dave Barr RDS Inc)
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 11:59:44 -0400

 (W2UP may have a
> > comment on that.)
> <snip>
> > Dave, K2YG
> > New Providence ARC - N2XJ/qrp
> >
> Barry wrote:
> I hadn't planned on commenting, but since invited... :.)
> I agree that PSK31 has a slower data rate. However, for less than
> one line of text, it's really insignificant.
> So why is it less efficient? Unlike the TOR modes and Clover,
> there's no synching involved. You tune the station in, and the print
> starts. It may be less efficient because most PSK31 ops are not
> contesters and start with your call x 3, etc, just like most FD ops. I
> was the CW op (no RTTY) from W2ZQ (2A SNJ) on Saturday
> afternoon. Most that called me sent my call 2-3 times, their call 2-3
> times, etc. That doesn't mean the mode is inefficient. It means the
> op is.
>
> Writelog's PSK module is less user-friendly than a waterfall-type
> program such as Digipan. If someone wrote a MMTTY-like interface
> for Digipan, I bet many of the anti-PSK contesters will change their
> minds. Or, am I missing something else about the mode?
>
> 73,
> Barry
> --
> Barry Kutner, W2UP              Internet: w2up@mindspring.com
> Newtown, PA                     Frankford Radio Club

Hi Barry.

In all fairness, I must admit that my digipan/laptop/K2 and qrp
combination seems not to be very good at acquiring good copy on psk very
quickly.  While the setup works very well on RTTY, it may be that the
operator (heh heh) is not very accomplished at psk, and the settings for
automatic or frequency control and tracking are not being used
properly.  I often don't get print on someone coming back to me after
their CQ until after he has sent my call.  This is obviously a problem.

You are absolutely correct that we do need an easily used piece of
software that will log contest style, with immediate dupe notification,
for rtty and psk jointly.  Hope someone with some smarts can come  up
with something.  Until then, digital at Field Day will remain the
unpopular kid in class, despite the interest it always raises from
cw/ssb types who have never tried it.

Also, I think that your experience with hearing your FD call so much
before the calling station signs is due to the large number of Hams
without contesting experience who operate on Field Day because it is a
friendly environment, and newcomers are usually welcomed.  This is a
good thing.  Because I provided the SSB/Digital station for our 2A
operation, I ended up working a lot more SSB than I wanted to (I like CW
much more).  During that operation, I was amazed at the number of
operators who, after we replied to their CQ FD, would acknowledge our
call, and then turn it back to us without giving their exhange info.  It
happened so much that one of our veteran ops finally said: "no, no, you
go first."  The other end took a while to catch on.

Bottom line: if you have any advise about what I'm doing wrong with
psk...  I'm open to suggestions.

73
Dave
K2YG