[RTTY] RTTY operation in ARRL's Field Day exercise?

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] RTTY operation in ARRL's Field Day exercise?
From: w2up@mindspring.com (Barry )
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 10:02:24 -0400
On 24 Jun 02, at 8:42, k2yg@verizon.net wrote:

> N2XJ, NNJ, running as 2A QRP only, had a limited amount of time on
> digital modes.  We had about 30 or so RTTY Qs and about 12 with PSK31.
>  The activity on PSK was much greater than RTTY, although I find PSK
> to be much less efficient for contesting than RTTY.  (W2UP may have a
> comment on that.)
<snip>
> Dave, K2YG
> New Providence ARC - N2XJ/qrp

I hadn't planned on commenting, but since invited... :.)
I agree that PSK31 has a slower data rate. However, for less than
one line of text, it's really insignificant.
So why is it less efficient? Unlike the TOR modes and Clover,
there's no synching involved. You tune the station in, and the print
starts. It may be less efficient because most PSK31 ops are not
contesters and start with your call x 3, etc, just like most FD ops. I
was the CW op (no RTTY) from W2ZQ (2A SNJ) on Saturday
afternoon. Most that called me sent my call 2-3 times, their call 2-3
times, etc. That doesn't mean the mode is inefficient. It means the
op is.

Writelog's PSK module is less user-friendly than a waterfall-type
program such as Digipan. If someone wrote a MMTTY-like interface
for Digipan, I bet many of the anti-PSK contesters will change their
minds. Or, am I missing something else about the mode?

73,
Barry