[RTTY] RTTY operation in ARRL's Field Day exercise?

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] RTTY operation in ARRL's Field Day exercise?
From: wa9als@starband.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 12:56:09 -0500
> Hi Dave,
> I'm not sure what to say about printing PSK. With Digipan I just click on
> the trace and it prints! Maybe your audio level isn't correct, or your
> filters are too tight and/or IF shift off. When I copy PSK, I set the
filters
> as on SSB (2.0 KHz) Only if there is one very loud guy swamping the
> AGC do I go narrower.
> 73 Barry--
> Barry Kutner, W2UP              Internet: w2up@mindspring.com
> Newtown, PA                     Frankford Radio Club

Narrower is only a "problem" in that you can't see as much of the band on
the waterfall.  With the PROII, you can print PSK just fine with the 50 Hz
filter.  Take a look at http://www.qsl.net/wa9als/passband.htm, especially
the example labeled "500 Hz".  This shows the effect of adjacent signals!
In a contest, I suppose you might want your filters a little wider to catch
all those off frequency, but for a weak signal you're trying to print, I'd
want to isolate that one signal as much as possible.  All those "weak" light
blue signals will yellow-up if you can get them isolated by themselves.  73