[RTTY] What RTTY Sounds Like - THE SOLUTION

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] What RTTY Sounds Like - THE SOLUTION
From: k2yg@BellAtlantic.net (Dave Barr RDS Inc)
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 14:20:17 -0400
Don, you should be able to use an mp3 file, or even an 11.025 k sample
rate wav file (mono of course) which would be a quarter the size of a
regular rate wav file.  Also, the file can be very short, perhaps just a
cycle of CQ and your call of course, and the listener can loop it if
they feel like hearing more.   After all, even if an experienced ear can
pick out the sound of CQ or RY, it's not going to matter at all to
newbies...

I just tried ten seconds of tone.  At 44.1 sample rate, mono: almost
500k;
At 11.025 sr mono:  about 110k;  in MP3, 16 bit, 11.025k sr: only 20 k;
and it sounds fine.   If you'd like me to make you an MP3 at the lower
rate, let me know.

Brings to mind a new security measure.  All we RTTY types could send
secret messages as wav or mp3 attachments in baudot.  We could even use
100 baud!

73
Dave
K2YG