[RTTY] What RTTY Sounds Like

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] What RTTY Sounds Like
From: chen@mac.com (Kok Chen)
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 21:17:35 -0700
vp5/wa9als wrote:

>> Not music certainly, just a string of tones.
>
> It's all relative - RTTY -is- music.... PSK is QRM!  MFSK16 is something
> weird in-between.  ;-)

If you look at the spectrum, MFSK16 most resembles music.  At
the baud rate that they use, it sometimes sound to my ears almost
like voice phonemes.

PSK31 is like fingernails on chalkboard to me.  Except the torture
does not stop!

I used to think that 45 baud FSK sounded like an old bicycle with very
loose chains, with the chains periodically banging against that metal
plate
which protects your legs from the chain.  I still won't call it musical,
although
RTTY though polar flutter has a soothing melody to it, even if it a rare
M-V
station you are desperately trying to print :-).

The most musical to my ears?  Open up the bandwidth of the receiver
inside a well spread out CW pileup.   Now, that sounds nice!

73
Chen, W7AY