[RTTY] Mode??

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Mode??
From: w1ksz@tiac.net (w1ksz@tiac.net)
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 08:28:25 -0400
Not another digital mode !!!
Pretty soon the digital sub-band will be a veritable tower of Babel (babble
!!).

73, Dick, W1KSZ
FSK Forever !!

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002 09:14:37 +0100 Mobile Workshop
<mobile.workshop@guernseytelecoms.com> wrote:

Hi Tom and the group,

It is possible that what you heard was THROB by Lionel Sear G3PPT.
It sounds a bit like a small flute, or one of those recorder's one used at
school - or a bit like a PICCOLO, which I believe was also the name of the
Military version of this mode.

There are 3 "speeds", 1, 2 or 4 "Throbs" per second. And there is a central
tone, with some either side, the width being determined by the speed.

Take a look at http://www.lsear.freeserve.co.uk/page3.html  and also
http://www.qsl.net/dl5swb/throb_e.htm  for more info. The latter shows a
screenshot, which may give you an idea of what to look for.

Give Throb a try............. it is actually quite good fun, nice on the
ears, and works quite well in poor conditions.

I've also heard some odd noises on the bands of late, and they are none of
the usual digital modes. One sounds like vastly overdriven PSK, but has a
waveform similar to 23Hz RTTY. It is neither as far as I can tell.

I've played with many/most of the digital modes out there, just for the heck
of it mostly, but also because I write for BARTG, and like to include
experience of these new modes.
I do like MT63, as it is so robust. It doesn't even falter if an SSB or
packet signal start up. Throb is also great fun, as is Hellschrieber.
PSK used to be fun, but is now frequented by many who simply haven't read
the basics, and run everything at full tilt. Take a listen to 14.070 and see
for yourselves. It is sad to see someone giving out station details which
include running 600 watts to a 6 ele beam!

I've also been hearing some PSK far away from the usual frequencies, such as
a UA6 on 14.087 and on 18.130. He was calling CQ over and over again, but
had very bad tones. I did try calling him, mainly to let him know he was WAY
off the usual PSK spot on 20m, but he didn't respond to my calls at all.
Nothing! Not even an indication he heard anything.

Seems to me that there is a need for a readily-accessible website to carry
audio clips of many of these modes, as an aide to identification - or will
someone tell me there already is such a site??

73 for now
Phil GU0SUP

and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom
they are addressed. If you have received this email in error
please notify the author immediately and delete it, together
with all copies, from your system.  You are unauthorised to
directly, or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print or copy
any part of this message if you are not its intended recipient.
 Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of
Guernsey Telecoms Ltd.

Information held on any of Guernsey Telecoms' computer
systems is the property of Guernsey Telecoms Ltd. Guernsey
Telecoms Ltd reserves the right to monitor and review the
content of all information, messages and attachments sent
to or from this e-mail address.