[RTTY] Thanks for Lili Well Wishes

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Thanks for Lili Well Wishes
From: aa5au@bellsouth.net (Don Hill AA5AU)
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 20:06:38 -0500
I just walked in from guying my shorter tower and boarding up the front
of my house to find a lot of people have sent me E-mail wishing me well
with Hurricane Lili.  I'm guessing most of them came from those subscribed
here on the RTTY Reflector.

I want to thank everyone for their concern.  Apparently the storm is going
to come in slightly east of the previous forecast which means we will get
wind gusts up to hurricane strength.  If it continues turning north, then
anything to the east of that then we are in big trouble.

Unfortunately, I don't have time right now to reply to each of you individually.
The first band of rain showers hit just as I was cleaning up my tools.  When
we get a break in the rain, I'll try to board up the rear windows.  Luckily all
my board are pre-cut from when I boarded up for Georges 4 years ago.  But
it's not easy work.

My short Rohn 25 has never been guyed.  It's bracketed to the house at
about 9'.  It went through 2 hurricanes skirting by (included Georges) and
did well for Tropical Storm Isadore last week, but with a Category 4 storm
packing 145 mph winds, I just couldn't take the chance this time.

It was kind of fun being up on the tower with winds gusting to 30 mph or so.
I did some tower work professionally, so I'm somewhat at ease on a tower.
At age 45, it was nice to know I could still do it.

Again, I greatly appreciate those that have wished me well.  I hope to be
able to respond directly soon.  At present, the local news is saying the outer
edge of the eyewall will only be 40-50 miles from us.  I have work left to do
tonight in case Lili turns more to the east.

73, Don AA5AU
http://www.aa5au.com
http://www.geocities.com/writelog