[RTTY] DE

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] DE
From: aa5au@bellsouth.net (Don Hill AA5AU)
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 18:46:12 -0600
> >your callsign like DE AA5AU AA5AU K.  Not necessarily DE AA5AU DE AA5AU K.
>
> Is the "K" really required here? Why?
>
> Jerry W4UK

Another excellent question and one that I've pondered.  In Roundup I did not use
a K at the end of my CQ message or at the end of my confirmation/QRZ message
but I did but a space at the very end of those messages.  It seemed to work out
fine.  I did put BK at the end of my exchange buffer though.

My thinking here is that sometimes when copy is not good, signal weak or QRM,
I want something at the end to disguish that my transmission has ended.  Heck,
with
MMTTY copying so good these days, sometimes it's hard to hear when a station
ends his transmission.  I don't know that a K is necessary, but something, at
least a
space is needed.

There were a couple of stations that I saw that did not end their transmission
with a
space or a K and it came out like DE AA5AURPTVIWBOESAZ.  So you can guess
what got highlighted - AA5AURPTVIWBOESAZ.

And if Jerry were to do it, it would come out DE W4UKRQBOERZELMOE or something.
You wouldn't know if it was W4UK or W4UKR.  Actually we would all know it was
Jerry, but maybe on a new callsign, it might cause problems.

Another good question though.  Good for discussion.

73, Don