[RTTY] Cabrillo Solution

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Cabrillo Solution
From: k4ww at arrl.net (Shelby Summerville)
Date: Mon Mar 10 05:42:34 2003
Kok Chen" <chen@mac.com wrote: "FWIW, life has become much easier for me
since the introduction of an open format like Cabrillo."

Chen et al: Life may have become easier for those with contesting programs
that, either properly format the data for input into the "manual" form, a
Cabrillo conversion program or the "manual" form! If I remember correctly,
Cabrillo was established as a "common" format to make life easier for the
log checkers? As is with most everything in life, there are choices, and
mine has been to stay with what I'm most familiar with! My computer
expertise does not extend beyond the keyboard! The quicker software writers
accept the fact that their instructions should be written in language that
is understood by all, not just those familiar with  "computerize", the
sooner their sales escalate? Did I enjoy "manually" inputting the data for
175 Q's into the NCJ form...the answer to that is not for "public
consumption"! The Sprint lasts 4 hours...I probably spent more than 6 hours
total, getting my log in the proper format for submission! Reminds me of the
"post contest" time spent when "we" were using paper logs, dupe sheets and
submission forms? I voiced such frustration to W4OX about not being able to
get my log converted, that he offered to convert it for me! Of course, I
declined, with this statement: "I absolutely refuse to let a machine get the
best of me"!
For those of you that have an answer of "it's easy", allow me to present you
with this scenario that defines "easy"!
Until I quit, 3 years ago, I had bowled competitively all my adult life, and
was fortunate enough to have accumulated 11 "perfect" 300 games, 1 (3 game
series) above 800, untold (3 game series) above 700, and a high average of
226.
Was that easy?  For me...sure...for Bill Gates...I doubt it?
The same frustration you feel when trying to break Sprint pileups with 100
watts doesn't even come close to the frustration I feel when I know the
answer is probably right in front of me, but I just don't understand how to
find it? The equipment is available to allow one to "break pileups"! I'm not
sure the "equipment" is available to allow me to understand "computerize"?
C'Ya, Shelby