[RTTY] Death of RTTY?

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Death of RTTY?
From: k4sb at earthlink.net (K4SB)
Date: Tue May 20 00:56:57 2003
> > The strongest signal in the bandwidth is going to
> > capture the AGC and the weak ones just fade away.
 Chen followed:
> Absolutely right, Mike!
> Well, let us say you open up your passband to 2 kHz and there is
> one station at S9+40, and a puny guy like me hitting your receiver
> in the same passband at S2.
> Thus, you end up with no tuning advantage using PSK31, and you
> have actually a distinct disadvantage since you now have to center
> the PSK31 very carefully in a narrow passband; something that even
> a clumsy oaf as myself (and a cross banana display) can manually
> handle using FSK.

First of all, why in the world would you select a 2 kHz bandwidth?

As for the rest, it depends on the program you're using. And I can
easily pick up that puny
S2 with just a click of the mouse, and not even see the S9+.

Don't blame the mode when it's a receiver/software problem.

Personally though, if RTTY meets its death, I'll throw the (&*^$
soundcard away.

73
Ed