[RTTY] DL-DX Contest

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] DL-DX Contest
From: ve3iay at rac.ca (Richard Ferch)
Date: Thu Jul 3 07:49:58 2003
On Wed Jul 2 15:21:28 EDT 2003 ,
IronmanY2k <IronmanY2K at triathlete.com> wrote:

>Hello fellow RTTY contesters.  I plan to operate some of the contest this
weekend.  I have no problems with exchanges, multipliers and rules and I
think the 6 hour categories are going to make this popular for part time
ops.  I applaud the contest organizers for making the 6 hour categories.

>I have downloaded the necessary files to score this contest in Writelog.
Only problem is that when I enter a DL station in it gives me 18 points.
Since I'm outside of EU I should get 20 points.  There are no parameter
setups so I can't change it there.  Anyone have a solution for this or am I
missing something very simple here?  If not it should be easy to just adjust
the reports after the contest.

>tu es 73
>de AD6WL

Hi Jim,

Funny how two of us can read the same thing and interpret it quite
differently. When I first read the DL-DX rules, I took the meaning to be
that the 3 point bonus was for working DL stations that were in Europe
(whether in DL or operating CEPT from somewhere else in Europe), while the
5-point bonus was for working DL stations operating portable from, for
example, the Canary Islands. From the sound of your message, the Writelog
module interprets it this way too.

On the other hand, it looks to me as if you read the "from EU" and "from
other continent" to apply to the station working the DL (i.e. you), which,
now that you mention it, seems a more likely interpretation for a DX
contest. Was the bonus intended to encourage DX stations to work DLs, or to
encourage DLs to go on contest DXpeditions?

I wonder which is the correct interpretation?

BTW, while I am at it, I note that Rule 9 says that all logs must show
points per QSO and multipliers, and then goes on to say that Cabrillo files
(which do not contain either of these) are preferred. I assume they will
accept Cabrillo files without the points and mults, but that if you use some
other format they want you to include points and mults, right?

And as yet another question to the organizers: in Class 5C (only dipole or
groundplane), is groundplane supposed to mean any vertical, whether
ground-mounted or elevated; only elevated verticals with elevated radials;
or only quarter-wave verticals? How about so-called "half-wave" verticals
like the R7, which may be operated without a ground plane? And what about
all the possible variations on dipole (non-resonant, off-center-fed,
end-fed, ...)? Is this category really intended to mean "single-element
antenna"?

Questions, questions ... what a headache it must be trying to write rules so
everyone understands them the same way!

73,
Rich VE3IAY