RE: [RTTY] Another reason NOT to sign "portable"

To: "'RTTY'" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [RTTY] Another reason NOT to sign "portable"
From: "Ken Brookner" <kenb@brookner.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 20:08:16 -0700
i don't see much difference between signing portable, and putting the call
area/zone/whatever into the contest exchange if it's that important.  the
only reason i can think of why it would be better to sign portable (for US
calls) is so that our automated logging software can do most of the work for
us.

if the intent of the contest exchange is to accurately copy information from
the other station to make the 'contact,' then the spirit is better served by
putting all this important info into the exchange so we *have* to copy it to
get credit.

if the intent is to just make the most of a marginal contact, then it's
better to sign portable so that our logging software can figure out the zone
for us so we don't have to copy it.  we already don't bother with the report
since even a crummy signal is given 599.  so, now all we have to do is grab
a piece of the call, let our super check partial window help us to guess the
real call and populate the zone for us and then we only have to copy the
state (using the recent cqww as an example).  even more surprising to me is
that we don't let the contest logging program, once we've decided upon the
call, hit our callbook cd to get the state?  then we wouldn't even have to
bother with that!  and just so everyone understands, i don't advocate that
approach.

my point is that, at least in my opinion, the contest rules should be
updated to reflect the current call sign environment in the US and all
pertinent data should be moved to the exchange.  of course, this would force
us all to do a little more work.

for those of us with out of call area call signs, it's often a damned if you
do and damned if you don't situation.  i've taken flak from stations about
this no matter how i sign.  since the portable designator is not mandated
and not part of the call in the US, i don't think it should be
important--let the op use what he pleases.  if an op is not getting proper
credit from those scoring the contest because he's operating from call area
X with a call sign from area Y, then that should be addressed on the summary
sheet or whatever.

anyway, i very much enjoy working everyone in these contests and i don't
intend my comments to offend anyone.  this is just the way this op sees it.

73
kenb, ky5g