[RTTY] Hating QTC's in WAE

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] Hating QTC's in WAE
From: Scott Nichols <snichols@mvosprey.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 18:36:20 -0400
This debate is bugging me...

First, we have gone from being required to draw diagrams of superhetrodye receivers and long, tough essay questions, to 100 multiple choice answers (available for all to memorize) to get a basic ham ticket...Then we went from having to know 15 wpm CW to 5 wpm CW to (and soon NO CW) get an advanced, full-HF ticket ( here in VE land anyway)...Why does everything have to go the way of being EASY ???

QTC's are a CHALLENGE...They require you to:

#1...LEARN something...How to run software, how to be able to copy more than "5nn 5" in a contest (talk about BORING useless information)...What could possibly be more boring than typing VE1OP into your logging program and having "Zone 5" automatically entered for you ? Being BORING or USELESS info is not the point at all...The point is, it's an exchange of info, required by the contest sponsors...It's tough but it's different and it's fun..Those of you who say you will never do WAE contests unless they get rid of QTC's, obviously have never tried it so how do you know it's boring ???...Do you really care what year VE1OP was first licensed, as required bt SS ? Do you really care how old I am ??? or what time it is ??? These are all required exchanges in other contests, but I dont see anyone complaining about those...

and,

#2...MAKE decisions...Last weekend, I sat here for 30 hours, often having to make the decision of whether or not to ask to exchange QTC's with another station...Is the QSB too severe ? Is he strong enough to copy well enough ? If not, I waste lots of time asking for repeats...If I'm successful, I watch my score jump by 5,000 points...Thats FUN...The info you receive in a QTC is unpredictable by any logging program...You have to be able to actually copy it correctly...Uh oh...Computer won't do it for you this time...Gotta make that decision all by yourself...Do I stick to 15 m where I can easily get QTC"s vs going to 10 m to get some mults, but QSB is to severe to copy QTC's ???

If ya don't like QTC's, go watch TV ( as someone else suggested earlier)...I personally don't like the Sprint formats, that's why you don't hear me in them...I use those weekends for TV watching or taste testing Captain Morgan to make sure they still make fine quality rum...

Granted, copying a QTC in RTTY or CW is mostly done by mouse clicks, but it's a helluva lot more fun and challenging than typing a callsign, hitting the space bar, waiting for the other guy to stop TX, hitting ENTER and moving on to the next guy in the pileup...More work too, but it keeps the eyes open...

QTC's ( and lots of them ) are necessary to place well in this contest...Look at Dinks Claimed Scores...Those with lots of QTC's are on top, those without them are not...

Just my 2 cents worth...I look forward to this one every year...It's one of my favourites, because of the QTC's...

73, Scott VE1OP