Re: [RTTY] Concept of a new RTTY Contest

To: RTTY Contest <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Concept of a new RTTY Contest
From: K4SB <k4sb@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:13:53 +0000
Waldemar DK3VN wrote:
> Hi,
> during my last business trip I have thought about a new concept.
> OK, OK, it's not so very new, but new in the RTTY scene. ~:)
This is a great idea.
----------------------------
>   The calculation should assume the earth is a perfect sphere with
>   a radius of 6378 km. The basing point for the distance calculation
>   is the south west corner of the Maidenhead Grid Square.
------------------------------
But, acknowledging that the Earth is not a perfect sphere ( It's
squashed at the poles )
but making it a perfect sphere, the radius of the Earth is not 6378
km, but 12756.597 km or 24,902 statute miles. ( and that distance is
almost exactly twice the 6378 quoted)

All should also keep in mind that when I attempted to qualify as a
"command navigator" in the USN, my "test" star shot put us over the
Sahara, while in fact, we were in the Denmark Straits. Also note that
with a bit of extra instruction, I subsequently qualified as a
"command pilot" for the flights we called "Polar Stars", which located
the exact position of the magnetic North pole. Little bugger moves
around quite a bit. Interesting point is that while at the magnetic
North Pole, the only way you can go is South.

):>
Ed