Re: [RTTY] Filters

To: RTTY@CONTESTING.COM
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Filters
From: llindblom@juno.com
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 19:23:48 GMT
In my Icom 775 I have an INRAD 250 Hz in the 455 KHZ IF and an Icom  330 Hz in
the 9MHz IF.  I also have 500 HZ Icom filters for both IFs along with the
narrow Icom SSB filters.

Each seems to have it's own advantage and disadvantage.  If several stations
are calling at the same time the narrowest possible filter combination often
allows one station to print clean while the others who are a might off
frequency do not print.  Also if someone slides in too close to a good run
frequency the narrowest filters come in handy.  But when stations are calling
in one at a time the wider filters make it easier to print someone who is
farther off frequency.

Maybe filters are like antennas in that one can never have too many of them
available to use;-)

73 W0ETC

-- Bill Turner <wrt@dslextreme.com> wrote:
On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 10:19:19 -0600, Charles Morrison wrote:

>I see that Inrad makes several filters-a 250 for 455 and
>8.83 and a 400 for 8.83.  Wonder which filter(s) would be a good choice to
>reduce the adjacent stations but not get too narrow?

250 is just right for serious RTTYing.  400 isn't bad, but it's wider
than needed for RTTY.  400 would be good for MFSK16, though.

--
Bill, W6WRT
QSLs via LoTW