Re: [RTTY] Filters

To: wrt@dslextreme.com, RTTY@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Filters
From: Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 09:20:50 -0500
At 10:21 AM 3/24/2004, Bill Turner wrote:

When I'm using a 250 Hz filter, quite often when two stations are within
10-20 Hz of each other and nearly the same strength, I can tune off to
the side and get clear copy, something that probably would not happen
with a wider filter.  Just something to keep in mind.

This doesn't have anything to do with the filter bandwidth, but rather the shape. If the shape is very "square" then you will get good rejection just outside the passband. If it slopes more gradually, the rejection will be reduced. DSP filters like in the IC-756 are very good at these sorts of things.

73 - Jim AD1C

-- Jim Reisert AD1C, 7 Charlemont Court, North Chelmsford, MA 01863 USA +978-251-9933, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.com PGP Fingerprint: D8E2 3D78 339F A7F1 8C13 1193 B5D1 4FB6 79D1 70DC