Re: [RTTY] Filters

To: Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Filters
From: Bill Turner <wrt@dslextreme.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 07:12:34 -0800
On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 09:20:50 -0500, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:

>>When I'm using a 250 Hz filter, quite often when two stations are within
>>10-20 Hz of each other and nearly the same strength, I can tune off to
>>the side and get clear copy, something that probably would not happen
>>with a wider filter.  Just something to keep in mind.
>
>This doesn't have anything to do with the filter bandwidth, but rather the
>shape.

I think it does have to do with bandwidth, in the sense that if you have
a very wide filter (500 Hz or more) tuning off to one side will not
reduce the interfering signal at all.

But you're right about shape being important too.  That affects how far
off you would tune and how quickly the interfering signal drops off.

--
Bill, W6WRT
QSLs via LoTW