Re: [RTTY] Inrad filters for rtty question

To: "David Hachadorian" <K6LL@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Inrad filters for rtty question
From: Bill Turner <wrt@dslextreme.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 07:29:02 -0800
On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 11:56:59 -0700, David Hachadorian wrote:

>I am always amazed that, on both of those modes,
>people routinely call at up to 70 Hz off
>frequency. Sometimes, they are even further
>off.
>
>With a 500 Hz filter, and 170 Hz shift, a caller
>can be up to 165 Hz off freq and you will still
>hear both the mark and space tones, so you immediately
>know which way to roll the rit.
>
>With a 250 Hz filter and 170 Hz shift, a caller has
>to be within 40 Hz for you to hear both tones. Are
>you hearing the mark or space? Where IS this guy,
>up or down?

As long as one has an oscilloscope for tuning, it's easy to tell which
way to tune based on the angle of the ellipse.  It never takes me more
than a small fraction of a second.  For me, the tradeoff of slightly
more tuning time is worth it to obtain narrower bandwidth.

David, I'll bet if you tried a whole contest with 250 Hz filters and a
scope, you'd never go back to 500's, especially on a major (crowded)
contest.  I've done it both ways and for me, there is no question.

--
Bill, W6WRT
QSLs via LoTW