Re: [RTTY] A repository of (poor) RTTY recordings?

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] A repository of (poor) RTTY recordings?
From: Bill Turner <wrt@dslextreme.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 19:28:27 -0700
On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 18:30:43 -0400, Richard Ferch wrote:

>However, as far as texts to test with go, it doesn't really matter what the
>text is as long as you have a correct (text) copy in addition to the sound
>file - the computer can figure out how many copying mistakes were made from
>that. My suggestion would be to use text with lots of FIGS/LTRS case
>changes (like call signs and contest exchanges).

With all due respect Richard, I think it does matter what the text is.

Which of the following would be easier to find errors in:

GMANCUDKLJERJKSLVJNWFKJDBSDFHUHVADFQQJFAJDKD
LKJDFKSDVUJBERBALKDVJIDHFLQJEFLKDJBLKKFDJALH

or

RYRY RYRY RYRY RYRY RYRY RYRY RYRY RYRY RYRY
RYRY RYRY RYRY RYRY RYRY RYRY RYRY RYRY RYRY ?

As for the FIGS/LTRS characters, I don't see any particular need for
them in this exercise.  If a bit flip type of corruption is going to
occur, it only matters that we are easily able to detect it, not which
character it occurs in.  Am I wrong?

And remember, our non-English speaking friends may want to participate
too.  If I spoke no English, would "PACK MY BOX WITH FIVE DOZEN LIQUOR
JUGS" be a good choice?

--
Bill, W6WRT
QSLs via LoTW