Re: [RTTY] A repository of (poor) RTTY recordings?

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] A repository of (poor) RTTY recordings?
From: Bill Turner <wrt@dslextreme.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 07:30:33 -0700
On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 07:00:48 -0400, Richard Ferch wrote:

>Hi Bill,
>
>Why do the error-checking by hand when you have a computer to do it for
>you? It makes no difference to a computer whether the text is
>plain-language or random.

Right you are.  I hadn't thought about using a computer to do the error
checking, but that is a good idea.  I will do some experimenting with
your suggestion.

One other thought:  Perhaps having spaces in the text would confuse
things due to the operation of USOS (Unshift On Space).  If the space
character was not decoded correctly, the USOS would not take place and
this might cause additional errors in the following text.  I'm not
completely sure about this because the space character *should* also be
followed by a LTRS character if the case actually was changed, but it
depends on whether the program was written to transmit that way, or if
it depends on USOS alone to make the change.  I'm going to have to look
at the RTTY keying on a scope and see if that's actually what happens.

However, I still think human-readable text would be preferred because
it's likely some folks will want to participate in the experiment but
won't want to use a computer.  Perhaps something like this:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD