[RTTY] UK-DX Contest

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] UK-DX Contest
From: "Roger Cooke" <rcooke@g3ldi.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 18:04:40 -0000
Hi.

  I could only allot about three hours of operating but when I did
come into the shack
I wondered if there really was a contest on or not! Not much activity,
poor propagation
which at this stage of the sunspot cycle is no surprise, and (my
fault!) confusion at
the beginning as to the exchange. I began sending serial numbers
instead of NF for Norfolk.
I had omitted to properly complete the window that appears when
opening the UK-DX module
in Writelog. Three out of ten for effort!!!!

 However, I soon realised when I worked John, G3OOK on 21MHz, my 6th
contact!

I only managed just over 100 Q's, which in retrospect, for three hours
is not bad. I did
manage a few W's including the West Coast early Sunday morning,
together with a small run
of JA's, but my most satisfying contacts were with FO5PS, 5W0DL and
TG9SM.

  Like Phil and several others, I think that lack of prior publicity
and other contests
took their toll on activity.

  However, at this time of year, there are more pressing tasks, like
grass-cutting, hedge-
cutting and general gardening that must be done. Also, there should
not be a proliferation
of contests - especially the marathons - so that the bands are fully
occupied EVERY weekend.
This is my opinion of course, you may think differently!! I would also
like to see slots for
the 6 hour contestants in some of the marathons. I cannot make 48
hours, so will never stand
a chance of getting into the big guns league, but a shorter stint
would be interesting, and
would take some thought, regarding propagation.

This is my summary sheet:

UK DX Contest

Contest Type                : RTTY
Call Used                   : G3LDI
My QTH/UK Area              : NF
Callsign(s) of Operators(s) : G3LDI
Entry Class                 : Single Op/High Pwr/All Bands

BAND   QSO    MULTS
===================
160       0       0
80        9       3
40        0       0
20       73       4
15       22       3
10        2       1

You worked 51 DXCC mults (all bands) (DX mults not shown above)

Claimed Score:  235 pts * (11 + 51) mults = 14570

Grids Worked:

 HM  MS  NO  HM  MS  NO  SA  EX  NF  LV  NO

73 de Roger G3LDI
rcooke@g3ldi.freeserve.co.uk
g3ldi@amsat.org
g3ldi@qsl.net