Re: [RTTY] W6WRT experiences

To: dezrat1242@ispwest.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] W6WRT experiences
From: Larry L Lindblom <llindblom@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 12:14:21 -0500
Similar experience here doing a SB 20.  An S51 came on top of the
frequency I had been running on for over 30 minutes.  It was a very loud
S51 so I decided to let him have the frequency.  I started moving up the
band and in a minute stumbled across a station in Thailand.  The pileup
was big but with one call he was in the log for a multiplier.    If it
hadn't of been for the S51 I probably would not have found and worked
Thailand during the contest.  The moral of my tale is that sometimes a
bad experience can become a good one.

73 Larry L
W0ETC in IA

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 18:49:06 -0700 Bill Turner <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>
writes:
> For some reason I decided to try a single band effort this year.
> Don't know why, just seemed like the thing to do.  Had a
> good time, all except for one ugly frequency fight with a PI
> station... It was clearly my frequency, but he jumped in and
> started calling CQ.  Asked him to please QSY (no response) and
> after
> about three or four minutes of dueling CQs, he gave up.
>
> This behavior is so rare I can't remember the last time it happened
> (well, actually I can) but thankfully nearly all RTTY ops are true
> gentlemen.  I suspect it happened because he left to work another
> band
> and came back to find his old frequency occupied.  If you leave
> long
> enough for me to call CQ three or four times with no response, it's
> no
> longer yours.  If I call CQ once and I hear what sounds like
> another
> QSO, I'll QSY.
>
> And yes, I do listen first, but in a contest, not very long.  :-)
>
> Picked up four new countries, now have 249 worked on RTTY.
>
> The details:
>
> 2004
> CQ World-Wide RTTY DX Contest
>
> CALL:        W6WRT
>         Single Operator
>         One Radio
>         Single Band:  20 meters
>         High Power:   1500 watts
>
>         QSOs        Pts        Zn        DX:        St
Multipliers