Re: [RTTY] Makrothen

To: RTTY@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Makrothen
From: Jeff Stai WK6I <wk6i@twistedoak.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 11:05:09 -0700
At 09:12 AM 10/11/2004, Jeff Stai WK6I wrote:
>At 02:39 AM 10/11/2004, Brian wrote:
>>I am upgrading to a Santa Cruz to see if that will help with print but at the
>>moment have a code10 with XP,if anyone can help with me with that I would
>>much appreciate it, email me off reflector.
>
>hi Brian - I am also getting a code 10 from XP (and not being successful in
>finding out what that means). In my case, however, this is from a SB MP3+ USB
>sound card (suggested by N6TQS) attached to my laptop.
>
>Anything you learn about this would be appreciated! (and I will of course do
>same)

OK - I have the basic MP3+ up and running - it is making noise anyway.
"Soon" I will (hopefully) be getting it going with MMTTY and writelog.
Thanks to N6TQS for pointing me at it!

The board got a 6F score when I ran the writelog sound board check the first
time, and then got a 7F the second time after it made a change to the
writelog.ini file automagically (that's what the dialog box said it was doing).

BTW: I ordered mine thru amazon.com which was shipped by TigerDirect - this
was the $30 special with the noise cancelling headphones. That was the only
place I found that special.

The code 10 issue was due to the fact that the MP3+ uses too much power for
the basic USB port on the back of my laptop. You need to use an external hub
with its own power - which I do anyway because I need more serial ports.

I was also getting "power surge" errors every time I tried to hot-plug it -
another clue about the power issue....

My problem was that I -thought- the hub was powered because it was plugged
into its power cube/wall wart/AC adapter (even checked it with the DMM ;-).
In fact, there was a little unnoticed slide switch on the side that must be
turned on for the external power to be used. Once I did that the device
started to behave and I could install the software (which I won't then get
into, but suffice to say it was one of the more messy installs I have ever
seen - I had to do a hard power down/restart because the final "finish"
button wouldn't - and it also put that *%#&@! AOL button on my desktop!).

Here is web page that gave me the hint I needed (thanks to WB0DUL for
suggesting a general Google search - doh!):

http://support.intel.com/support/peripherals/audioplayer/3kplayer/sb/CS-002311-prd598.htm

Brian - I would suggest a search on "code 10 error santa cruz" or something
like that to see what comes up. My poking around indicates that the code 10
is a resource deficiency - there is something the SC needs, and it can't get
it. Perhaps there is an I/O space or IRQ conflict for your plugin card.

hope this helps! - jeff wk6i

--
Jeff Stai               jds@twistedoak.com
Twisted Oak Winery      http://www.twistedoak.com/