Re: [RTTY] 17" flat panel prices

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] 17" flat panel prices
From: "Andrew J. O'Brien" <obrienaj@netsync.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 21:23:27 -0500

I just happened to walked to in an high-end TV store yesterday and they had an in-store video running that was addressing this issue. I may be stating the obvious here but the life span of LCD displays is referenced in terms of hours in use rather than days or months. I believe the video said 10 years but that was based on 8 hours per day. If you use your monitor more , perhaps leave it in 24/7/365 , your "mileage may vary"

By the way, I too have a KDS but a 17 inch, going strong but I have only had it for about 8760 clock hours.

Andy K3UK

I remember reading somewhere (but where?) that 10 years is the expected
life span of most LCD displays.  I've used a 19 inch KDS LCD for around 3
years with no grief so far.  At the time it was not real cheap but the
$100 rebate sealed the deal.  Plus, back then it was much cheaper than a
comparable screen display area CRT monitor (20 or 21 inch) and weighed
much less than the CRT it replaced.

Larry L, W0ETC