RE: [RTTY] Turtle Beach Santa Cruz problem?

To: "Art Searle W2NRA" <w2nra@optonline.net>, <RTTY@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [RTTY] Turtle Beach Santa Cruz problem?
From: "Ford, Steve, WB8IMY" <sford@arrl.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:22:51 -0500
Art:

I also have a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz card and experienced a problem that might
be related to what you are seeing.

In my case, after I installed the card, the PC would not reboot after it had
been operating for more than about 20 minutes. If I removed the Santa Cruz, it
would reboot normally (and continue to reboot normally, no matter how long it
was operating).

As far as I was able to tell, the sound card was NOT otherwise defective. After
a careful examination of the motherboard, I discovered that the chipset cooling
fan was not running (this is the tiny fan that some motherboards use, not to be
confused with the CPU fan). I replaced the fan.

I also noticed that my PC was using a 300-W power supply. With my new Santa
Cruz card, combined with a high-end video card and some other toys, I suspected
that the power supply might not be up to snuff. So, I replaced it with a 500-W
unit.

After those two operations, the Santa Cruz has worked perfectly and there have
been no rebooting problems to date.

73 . . . Steve, WB8IMY