Re: [RTTY] afsk to fsk

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] afsk to fsk
From: Ian White G3SEK <G3SEK@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 07:37:22 +0000
ws7i wrote:

>Well whoever sez that an optoisolater won't work with a FT-1000 is
>wrong. Works just fine. I don't have a pro3 but they will work fine
>with any rig.
>
>Its just a matter of getting the proper amount of resister value.  In
>fact I have done two FT-1000d's and what is odd is that they each took
>a different value of resister.

It is much more important to use the right optoisolator. The most common
kinds are not suitable for these keying applications, which involve very
low currents.

All the most common kinds of opto are specified at an input current of
10mA, but at low currents the current transfer ratio (CTR) will be much
lower than specified... and also very uncertain, and variable from batch
to batch. If the resistor value is critical, it is a sure sign that the
performance of the opto is marginal.

For these applications, we need a sensitive type with a CTR greater than
100%, and most importantly the CTR must be specified at a low current
(1mA typically).  These are easy to find in component catalogs, but
you're unlikely to have one in the junk-box.

With the right kind of opto, the resistor value should not be critical
-anywhere around the typical 2.2K should be fine.

Pete: for FSK with the FT-1000 I have used both the MCT5211 (obtainable
from Farnell in the UK) and the SFH618-A4 (Rapid Electronics). Either
one, with its 2.2K resistor, will fit inside a 9-way D connector shell.

An archive search for "opto" should pull out a lot more information from
this list, a few months back.

--
73 from Ian G3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek