Re: [RTTY] YK1BA on RTTY?

To: <ku4j@hiwaay.net>, <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] YK1BA on RTTY?
From: "Saad Mahaini" <n5ff@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 00:28:31 -0500
Hello Tim,

Yes, I will be active on TTY this year for sure.  I have been doing
about half CW and half SSB on almost all bands, whichever is open.  Last
year, by large demand, I put more emphasis on CW and most contacts were
made on 40 and 80.  This year, also by popular demands, I plan to work
30-50% of the QSO on TTY.

It's good you raised this question on the reflector, so I can get some
advise here.

I'm still debating if I should buy an old TNC (PK232, etc) to take with
me for TTY, or bring myself up to the 21st century and learn how to do
it with strictly software.

I operate TTY here (N5FF) using DX4WIN with TNCs (Hal and PK232), so I
know how to do that.  I usually run YK1BA using DX4WIN on my laptop.  I
understand there is a way to interface MMTTY (which I have never used)
to DX4WIN, and just run TTY strictly on the computer with no TNC.  I
have not investigated the mechanics of doing it this way yet.

What is the recommendation here?  And what will it take to get setup and
operational with the MMTTY /DX4WIN combination.

Due to work issues, I will not be able to do my YK trip this year on my
usual time early spring (like around now), and the earliest YK1BA will
be QRV again is mid to late May.  I will send out a note to the DX
bulletins when the date is firm.

73 Saad N5FF