Re: [RTTY] YK1BA on RTTY?

To: "Saad Mahaini" <n5ff@comcast.net>, <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] YK1BA on RTTY?
From: "Tim Pearson" <ku4j@hiwaay.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 04:18:17 -0500
Greetings Saad (N5FF),
I personally think it is easier to just use the computer and
not have to worry about taking an extra piece of equipment (TNC).

All that is required is a sound-card interface to hook from the
computer (notebook?) to your rig.  The sound-card interface is
VERY simple and typically consists of one transistor to allow a
computer serial port to key the radio and an isolation transformer
to isolate the audio from the computer to rig.  There are several
commercial versions available, the most popular being the
rig-blasters from www.westmountainradio.com, perhaps they are
available from your neighbors at Texas Towers in Plano?

You have two options on how you hook the interface to the rig.
MMTTY will allow either one of these options:

1) AFSK - where the computer sends the audio tones
using 'Line Out' from the computer to the sound-card interface
to audio-in on the rig (this connector varies by rig) , in this
mode the rig is in LSB mode.

2) FSK - a serial port on the computer is used to send serial
data in BAUDOT (5 bit) format to the TTY input of the rig. In
this setup the rig is in RTTY mode.

In either of these setups, the comptuer (via 'Line In') is the
one doing the decode of the audio tones (not a TNC).
You will find that in almost all cases the computer is a superior
RTTY decoder than a TNC.

Will you be using a club station in YK or bringing your own rig?
You will need a custom cable from the sound card interface to
the rig.  This is really no different because you would need a
custom cable from a TNC to the rig.

Saad if you have any more questions, please feel free to call me
on my cellphone at any time (256-653-9959).

If you need any help learning MMTTY before heading to YK,
I'm sure we can find someone in the Dallas area to help you out
before you head out.

73 Tim-KU4J