Re: [RTTY] When did mechanical teleprinters become obsolete?

To: aa4lr@arrl.net, rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] When did mechanical teleprinters become obsolete?
From: Russmill47@aol.com
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 09:01:13 EDT
Who says that mechanical teleprinters are obsolete? ;-)  I use my  Teletype
Model 28 ASR on the air daily and in the contests.  There is a  small group of
us die-hards who continue to use mechanical  teleprinters on the air.  And,
it's easier to exchange picture tapes  using teleprinters. There is a Greenkeys
list at _mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/greenkeys_
(http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/greenkeys)  for  those who would like
to re-visit their youth
or who are simply curious about  mechanical teleprinting.  There is something
special about the sound of a  well maintained mechanical teleprinter running
at 60 WPM.

I am sure that there are folks reading this, saying to  themselves:  Why on
earth would you use old clunky Teletype machines  when we can emulate that in
software?   I say, why on earth are you  using HF radio when you can use the
Internet and get much more available and  reliable data transfers. It's the
same
kind of thing.  It's not what  you want to do, it's how it's done.  And, in
my case, I find that there is  still magic left in RTTY when the TTY continues
to represent Teletype.

73,

Russ
WA3FRP