Re: [RTTY] RTTY Software

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY Software
From: K4SB <k4sb@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 15:15:39 +0000
"Andrew J. O'Brien" wrote:
> but RITTY had some lock-up problems with some versions of Windows and the
> author was not helpful in resolving the issues.
----------------
"Not helpful" is an understatement comparable to "Other than that,
Mrs. Lincoln, how
did you enjoy the performance?"

I paid for RITTY many years ago, and it ran fine until I decided to
back up the hard drive. Wham, there went the first key. Brian wrote
the software so that the "key" is
embedded in the root system of the computer. I know of no other
software which uses this method. Of course, he neglected to mention
you had to remove the key before backing up the drive.

Still have the program on an old disk, and it's useless.

Plus, that annoying announcement at random intervals of something
similar to " This software is licensed to K4SB...blah blah"

And then there was the infamous racket created when a ham in S.A.
cracked his code and apparently sold or gave away copies.

Many many years ago but I wouldn't touch a program written by him with
a 100' pole.

73
Ed