Re: [RTTY] RTTY Software

To: ws7i@ewarg.org, "Andrew J. O'Brien" <obrienaj@netsync.net>,<rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY Software
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 10:03:46 -0700
At 09:12 AM 7/3/2005, ws7i wrote:
>DOS died about 10 years ago along with WF1B.  Which is why RITTY is no
>longer much of a program for "normal" RTTY users as most are running
>Windows for the last 10 plus years.

If you read contest reports carefully, you will see some folks are still
using RTTY by WF1B. "Dead" is a relative term, apparently. ;-)

>MMTTY is a pretty good choice.

Agreed. MMTTY is what I use for contesting on the main computer because it
integrates with Windows contesting programs, not because it is the best.
"Pretty good" is adequate for many applications, but is not the same as "best".

Brian told me years ago that he could not get a Windows version of RITTY to
work as well as the DOS version because he could not address the sound card
directly and that causes some timing and/or latency issues. (I am
paraphrasing here; those may not be his exact words.) In his opinion,
Windows would never be as good as DOS for this kind of thing.  Direct
addressing of the sound card is why RITTY has such specific hardware
requirements.

That was MANY years ago however, and things could change. As far as I know,
they haven't.

--
Bill, W6WRT