Re: [RTTY] Value of Icom Rigs with RTTY Decoders

To: RTTY <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Value of Icom Rigs with RTTY Decoders
From: Peter Laws <plaws0@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 16:41:37 -0600
On 12/20/05, Andrei Nevis <v49a@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am using PRO-3 as a primary Radio since January 2005.
>   I bought it after I read the comments from Don, AA5AU.
>   I am happy to have a decoder there, it is a good backup, sometime MMTTY
> can't help much.

I'm an S&P type given my antennas, so I often use the bandscope on my
IC-746PRO.  Lately, though, I've had numerous instances of MMTTY
crashing so I try to keep the 746's RTTY decoder going since the
crashes usually seems to occur as I'm sending my exchange back!

With the built-in RTTY decoder, I can at least see the ack of my
exchange while MMTTY is coming back (N1MM never dies, only MMTTY).

If you want two-way RTTY, you have to get the "IC-7800 option" on the
IC-746PRO - it's only an extra US$8500 ... :-)

--
Peter Laws | N5UWY/9 | plaws0 gmail | Travel by Train!

"They that can give up essential Liberty to
obtain a little temporary safety deserve
neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin