Re: [RTTY] RTTY Best Practices

To: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>,RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY Best Practices
From: GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 08:16:19 +0000
Bill Coleman wrote:

> Cabrillo is just a data format for sending in logs -- it doesn't do
> the checking.
>
> However, the contest judges use several layers of checking to
> adjudicate a contact.

That first statement isn't the whole story, because "the Cabrillo format
for sending in logs" was part of a larger package of changes in the
rules about duplicate and other non-scoring contacts - and that affects
how everybody operates the contest.

The generic Cabrillo format specifically excludes any place for
indicating a claimed score for the QSO, or for marking what is believed
to be a duplicate QSO. It was decided that in future the computer would
work out the scores, and would also resolve any questions about apparent
dupes.

Those decisions make sense, but the introduction of the change was very
badly handled... which is why, ten years later, we're still talking
about it.

73 from
Ian GM3SEK