Re: [RTTY] RTTY Best Practices

To: "VSH-RW4WZ" <vsh@udm.net>, <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY Best Practices
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 09:32:07 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

At 01:30 AM 1/14/2006, VSH-RW4WZ wrote:

> > CR/LF makes the line jump at the receiver end, unless using WriteLog.
> > Space accomplishes the same purpose with no line jump and therefore
> > is easier to capture with the mouse.
>
>I'm not WriteLog user and really couldn't understand what is the difference
>with CR/LF readings  by WL and other programs ?

When printing, most RTTY programs insert a new line at the bottom of
the screen and the previous line "jumps" up. Each new line causes the
previous line to jump up and therefore the text scrolls upward.
WriteLog avoids this in a most clever way. It inserts the new line
under the old line and when it reaches the bottom of the print area,
it goes back to the top of the print area and inserts the next line
there. This makes each line remain in place until the full cycle is
completed at which time the old line is replaced with a new one. It
is much easier to click with a mouse because once a line is printed
it does not move. When WriteLog first came out this was one of the
main selling points.

For other programs which do not work like WriteLog, a space at the
end of the macro is preferable to a CR/LF because the space does not
make the line jump up and you do not have to "chase" it with the mouse.

For those new to RTTY, the reason for either the space or CR/LF is to
separate the last word in the macro from the random characters which
print when the TX is dropped, making it easier to read and click on.

73, Bill W6WRT