Re: [RTTY] ARRL Bandwidth proposal (dup)

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] ARRL Bandwidth proposal (dup)
From: "Carter, K8VT" <k8vt@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 14:17:19 -0500
psussman@pactor.com wrote:

>  HAL sure noticed that when they released CLOVER and remember G-TOR,
>  that 'enhanced knockoff' of PACTOR-1. So when SCS released PACTOR-2
>  they did NOT make the protocol freely available. After all their
>  PACTOR-1 reputation had been tarnished by 'cheap knockoffs' of their
>  freely released protocol. Can you blame them?
>
>  Comments??

Intellectually, no,  I can't blame them and intellectually do support
them. However, from an *economic* point of view, I recall the PACTOR-2
modems running around $1000 (!), give or take. As an *amateur*
communicator, I didn't foresee $1000 of improvement over PACTOR/G-Tor
and therefore chose to pass.

Hams being (frugal) hams, there seems to be plenty of great low or no
cost software available to the ham community; e.g., PSK, MFSK,
Hellschreiber, MMTY, the W1 (?) meteor scatter software, etc, etc.

I don't know the answer, but it would seem that the inventor of a better
mousetrap would be better off trying to market their invention to
commercial interests rather than the frugal ham community...   ;-)

73,
Carter K8VT