[RTTY] 160 Band Plan/RTTY On 160

To: "a RTTY COL eList" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] 160 Band Plan/RTTY On 160
From: "Thomas Giella KN4LF" <flcyclone@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 11:11:32 -0500
It was real nice to see all of the RTTY activity on 1808 kc +/- yesterday
evening. There is already quite a bit of PSK, MFSK and OLIVIA MFSK activity
between 1800-1810 kc. We appear invisible to most due to the low power used and
I hope the activity continues as the more the merrier.

As far as 160 meter band plans the CW mode only on 160 meters DX community
attempted to have the Gentleman's Agreement 1830-1835 kc CW and 1840-1850 SSB
DX windows reaffirmed in 2001 via the ARRL 160 Meter Ad Hoc Committee. However
in the end that didn't happen so there is now no official DX windows on 160
meters. They didn't like the end result of the new band plan so tried to get
the DX windows codified into 46 CFR Part 97 via FCC rulemaking but failed there
too.

The alleged powerful politics people consist of a very small group of 1 x 2
callsign hams with gigantic runaway egos that insist that they are omniscient
by virtue of their license class, ARRL DXCC entity totals and electrical
engineering backgrounds, anal retentives! They have repeatedly attempted to
create their own private playground gated community on 160 meters but
fortunately have failed in every attempt.

This group was behind the pressure placed upon W1AW to QSY off of 1817.500 kc.

I notice the 160 meter bandplan does not even mention any DX window
at all. Between this glaring omission and the 40 meter RTTY DX
calling frequency fiasco, one can only wonder what's going on at
headquarters. I suspect some powerful politics but I have no personal
knowledge.

For some additional detail on the ARRL bandplan, see "The Considerate
Operator's  Frequency Guide" at
http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/conop.html

73, Bill W6WRT

Thomas F. Giella, KN4LF