Re: [RTTY] FT1000D FSK

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] FT1000D FSK
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 08:26:03 +0000
Tyler Stewart wrote:

> [...]

There is an error in the MP user manual about FSK, that affects all the
original series and possibly some of the MkV. Yaesu used text from the
old 1000D manual which does not apply.

In the 1000D and the 990, the mode that is labeled "FSK" is generated by
frequency-shifting an internal audio tone generator. Because this is
really AFSK, the 1000D and 990 manuals show how to set the audio and ALC
levels correctly to avoid distortion.

But if you try to follow that same procedure for an MP, it won't work.
The MP user manual is telling you to set the level for an audio
generator that doesn't exist! Starting from the original MP, Yaesu have
used true FSK, and the keying line goes directly into the chip that
controls the frequency synthesizers.

Two or three years ago, a number of people ploughed through the manuals
to get the story straight, so it should be in the list archives. If I
remember correctly, the error is in all the MP "Mk1" user manuals, and
continued into the first issue of the MkV manual. Yaesu finally
corrected it when they released the MkV Field.

To update the story, does anyone know how FSK is generated in the 9000
series?

--
73 from Ian GM3SEK