Re: [RTTY] MicroHam USB II versus TS-940S/AT

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] MicroHam USB II versus TS-940S/AT
From: "Ekki Plicht (DF4OR)" <ep@plicht.de>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 21:20:22 +0200
On Monday 01 May 2006 23:37, Jack West wrote:
> I bought a MicroHam USB II interface that is supposedly custom built to
> interface
> with my TS-940, which I use in FSK when I participate in RTTY contests.
>
> Bottom line... The CAT function doesn't work using USB II interface.  I
> have set the
> jumpers to IF232 per the included instructions
[...]
> Disappointed and I need help...

Jack,
I am working at Germanys largest ham radio store, and we sell a lot of
microHam products, whether it be the microKeyer or the USB 1/2 interface. I
do the support for these products for our customers.

Let me tell you that the product you bought really is capable if what it was
advertised for. If it doesn't, it can have two reasons: it has a malfunction
or has been misconfigured.

Yes, I have seen malfunctioning microHAM USB2 interfaces, but the rate is
fairly low, I estimate well below one percent. But if somethign fails it's
mostly the CAT part of the interface.

So my advice would be to check all settings, including the jumpers, again. The
urouter software has a lot of options and has a somewhat steep learning
curve. Make sure that you have the latest version of that program
(downloadable at microham.com).

If you are really sure that all settings are Ok got to your dealer, they
should offer you a replacement unit.

> The CAT function works perfectly via my "Old" Kenwood IF-232C interface to
> a Serial port.  This is the way I am operating at present.

This is a very helpful diagnostic, and might be an indicator that indeed the
CAT portion of the interface is not working correctly.

> Neither the red or green "Control" led's ever blink or light for the Cat
> function on the USB II box. but
> I do get the green, arrow, blinking as it is polled by the software in the
> router display.
>
> It acts to me like a wiring error in the custom interface cable supplied
> for my TS-940???

If you have the standard IF-10B interface installed in your TS-940 and if you
have the right version of the cable (called USB2-TS6 of DB15-TS6 if you
bought the cable separately) it does work. We have sold several of them to
TS-940 users.

73,
Ekki, DF4OR