Re: [RTTY] Not to beat the SO2R horse...

To: <dezrat@copper.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Not to beat the SO2R horse...
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 13:14:59 -0400
W6WRT writes:

> As I've noted before, heavyweights do not box middleweights, Indy cars
> to not race against stock cars and the NFL does not play against high
> school teams. Yet each class is exciting anyway because when like
> competes against like the playing field is level, not tilted in favor
> of one side before the competition even begins.

That's fine ... ask the sponsors to create a new class for those who
do not want to compete in the unlimited class.  Boxing started as one
class, the little guys got together to create their own classes when
they found they could not compete with the bug boys.  You will still
find an occasional boxer who moves up a class if he really wants to
"go for it."

CQ (I think it was) has created the triband-wires class in several of
their contests ... they are not very popular of competitive.  Many
triband equipped stations still compete in the traditional single
operator class be cause that's where the competition is.

Again, there is nothing that prohibits anyone from publishing a
list of "handicapped" results or lobbying the contest sponsors for
more classes but be prepared to come up with the support for the
added awards and administrative costs.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV