Re: [RTTY] Are digital modes a DXexpedition afterthought?

To: "Robert Montemerlo" <montemerlo@verizon.net>,<rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Are digital modes a DXexpedition afterthought?
From: "Phil Cooper" <pcooper@guernsey.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 18:38:21 +0100
Hi Bob and the group,

I seem to think that the habit of promising RTTY (or some digital modes, as
PSK should be lumped in here) is happening less and less these days.
Many of the more major DXpeditions ARE catering for the digital modes, AND
doing quite a good job of it.
A good recent example of this is the comparitively small operation by Tom
GM4FDM, Andrea IK1PMR, Claudia K2LEO and Rob PA3EWP to Benin TY, not to
mention the VU4/ operation.
Doug N6TQS has also provided me with many a new one too!

Many such operations do cater for RTTY/PSK, and often you will see a good
RTTY op amongst the crew.
It tends to be those that ask a few basic questions here, or perhaps on the
MMTTY reflector, promise the earth, and then don't bother.

As part of BARTG, we are often asked for a donation towards a trip, and
whether we give tends to be reflected by the names taking part.

Note that not all such trips say anything baout the digital modes in their
press release, but you can often tell whether it is likely by seeing who is
taking part.
I hate to take their names in vain, but if you see Doug N6TQS, or Tom
GM4DFDM listed as a team member, you can be sure they will do whatever they
can to provide RTTY/PSK.
If it then doesn't happen, I am fairly happy that they gave it their best
shot but failed for reasons outside their control.

I can accept that in days gone by, that RTTY was only possible if they had
remembered the TU, maybe a spare as well, plus all the right leads,
connectors, possibly a software floppy including the right drivers, and had
a rig capable of driving the TU.
Nowadays, many trips have access to the web on even very remote islands, so
downloading a copy of MMTTY is a piece of cake. They probably already have
leads to/from the PC for CW, and even SSB, so they are unlikely to have
forgotten anything.

Just my take on things.......

73 de Phil GU0SUP