Re: [RTTY] An open letter to Shelby, K4WW

To: ws7i@ewarg.org
Subject: Re: [RTTY] An open letter to Shelby, K4WW
From: Barry <w2up@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 18:28:32 +0000
Comments interspersed below...

ws7i wrote:
> Hmmm, I think that would make SOMR just like M/M.  One is a small class, and
> the other quite a bit larger.  Never did mind winning either, personnally.
> Then they added M2 because its hard to build a real M/M.
>
> There is no difference in making Single Operator classes, what-so-ever, when
> the hordes demand a change, perhaps there is a reason.  Frankly, I like SOSB,
> that's a real contest, but then again, my old friend Ron just gets to bored
> as the rate isn't high enough for him without two radios going.

The reason I'm against the rule change, and I'm sure others agree, is I
built my station to be as competitive as can be *within the context of
the rules*.  Now, that I've succeeded, you want to change those rules.
Kinda like retroactive taxes...

> Different strokes for different folks, I see no reason that any of this makes
> a big difference, the only interesting thing I have ever seen is the huge
> outcrying by those who do choose to run SOMR, in some cases, against the
> concept.  What is most humourous to me is that one of the kings of SOMR and
> Low Power to boot just sits back and enjoys it.
>
> When someone beats Don in Low Power Roundup he will probably try another
> class or retire, but then again, it seems that no one can.  Well, it does
> seem like it has been done, just not for a long time.

I've never been a Roundup fan, but more of a DX contester.  I usually do
CQWW RTTY HP or SOA, but in 1990, I decided to operate CQWW RTTY Low
Power to see if I could beat Don.  The only one I told ahead of time was
Ron, K5DJ, and I asked him not to mention it to Don.  When the smoke
settled, I did beat him by about 20% ( 2M vs. 2.4M, only 50 more QSOs,
but many more mults.)  In a DX contest, I definitely had a propagation
advantage.  I wouldn't even think of trying to compete with him in Roundup.

> Frankly I'm old, tired, and out of practice and I think I will go back to
> doing M/M as they are much more relaxing.  Besides you can get a lot more
> socializing in during the contest.

I haven't operated a RTTY contest in about 3 years.  I got bored (and
have been concentrating more on CW) even with SO2R.  In SO1R, there's so
much down time, I couldn't imagine doing it, unless I was watching TV at
the same time :.)

> When is the next contest, oh to have towers again.....and be able just to do
> one.  Moving to antenna restricted property is for the birds.
>
> Regards
>
> --
> ws7i@ewarg.org

Well, I'll be making a similar move in about 3 years, so it will be
multi time for me, as well.
73,
Barry W2UP

--