Re: [RTTY] SO2R vs. SO1R - a pertinent question

To: "'Doug Hall'" <k4dsp.doug@gmail.com>,"'RTTY'" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] SO2R vs. SO1R - a pertinent question
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 15:45:02 -0400
Doug asks,

> Why do contests distinguish between high power and low power?
> I have not seen that debated here, so I assume that most people
> are OK with the separate classes for those using amplifiers and
> those not using amplifiers.

Contests distinguish between high and low power for historical
reasons.  From the very earliest contests - in the days of single
element antennas (often a Marconi T or inverted L), it was clear
hat high power vs. low power was a big difference.  With the
advent of big antennas,  a low power station with big antennas
can occasionally eclipse a high power station with poorer antennas
or a less skilled operator.

However, in generally the "top ten" boxes will show a clear
separation based on power - even considering the effects of
antennas.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV