Re: [RTTY] SO2R vs. SO1R - a pertinent question

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] SO2R vs. SO1R - a pertinent question
From: Michael Keane K1MK <k1mk@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 17:34:04 -0400
At 03:45 PM 7/24/06, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

>Doug asks,
>
> > Why do contests distinguish between high power and low power?
> > I have not seen that debated here, so I assume that most people
> > are OK with the separate classes for those using amplifiers and
> > those not using amplifiers.
>
>Contests distinguish between high and low power for historical
>reasons.  From the very earliest contests - in the days of single
>element antennas (often a Marconi T or inverted L), it was clear
>hat high power vs. low power was a big difference.
>73,
>
>    ... Joe, W4TV

Joe,

I don't think that's entirely accurate.

It's been a somewhat different story for each genre of contest. Even
a long-established CW/phone contest like ARRL Nov Sweepstakes didn't
add a low power category until the 1950s. While other kinds of
contests like the VHF contests only added low power and QRP classes in 2000.

Categories have been an evolutionary development that have been
driven as much by increasing (or decreasing) participation levels as
some kind of universal legacy handed down from time immemorial.

73,
Mike K1MK

Michael Keane K1MK
k1mk@alum.mit.edu